Thursday, July 13, 2006

Flashcards v1.0 complete!

I made my first round of flashcards for the kids tonight. It wasn't too hard, just a little time consuming, but only because I made image cards and had to search for and resize the pictures. I used Word and formatted the pages into 3x5's. I made a card for each uppercase and lowercase letter, then made a separate image card. Each image card has a picture that corresponds to one letter of the alphabet and reverses to show the uppercase and lowercase letter. I used pictures of family members for some of the letters, which is cute. I'm betting N's will be the letter 'C,' though, since I used a picture of Lightning McQueen to represent the word 'car'.

I'm planning on using these for recognition of uppers and lowers, matching of the two, and then beginning phonemic awareness (aka, what sound does this make?). Eventually, I'd like to make similar cards for other phonic categories (blends, etc.)--first I need to find out what all those categories are! I also need to use the cards to discuss alphabetical order--I'm thinking some type of alphabet train game might work for that--including being able to insert a missing letter into an alphabet sequence.

I would also like to be able to incorporate the flashcards into some type of file folder game. Such games are new to me, but they look cute, portable, and good for a little bit of independent learning. The trick in this house will be to teach the kids to TAKE CARE of them and NOT RIP them and NOT TEAR THEM TO SHREDS so that Mommy finds pieces of our cute, portable file folder games all over our lovely home. Can you tell this has been a constant lecture here lately?

No comments: