Monday, August 06, 2007

Our Choice

I think this pretty well sums it up:

  1. I have a degree in education, so I know how to teach. I can't imagine a better teacher for my children than myself. Of course, that is not because I'm the best teacher ever--although I'm hoping they'll eventually think that! But rather, I know my children so well, and have their best interests and God's will in mind for them each step of the way. I can tailor lessons to each child's specific abilities and learning styles.


  2. I've taught in public and private schools and was not impressed by the politics of mass-produced education.


  3. Teaching also led me to appreciate homeschooling's ability to maintain a 3:1 student/teacher ratio. Much better than the 30:1 I experienced as a teacher.


  4. We have the means to travel for free to many cool places. When the baby is a little bit older, we plan to make 'field trips far and wide' an integral part of our homeschooling.


  5. Homeschooling allows a more flexible schedule. My husband has a constantly varying schedule, and homeschooling allows our kiddos a chance to spend time with daddy. It allows daddy an opportunity to participate in our schooling activities to a greater degree.


  6. Although my husband struggles with the 'socialization issue,' I see homeschooling as a way to offer our children more natural and controlled (if necessary) interactions. As a teacher I saw a fair share of bullying and bad attitudes being overlooked by adults, even in a Christian school. I must say, this is *not* the primary reason we homeschool. I don't expect to shelter our children. But I don't want a majority of their time spent in a peer-to-peer culture.


  7. We cherish the ability to bring God back into the classroom. I want to teach our children that God is the center of all, that He offers unwavering Truth and Wisdom (yes, with capitals).
    According to The Barna Update:
    Citing the findings from a just-completed national survey of 2033 adults that showed only 4% of adults have a biblical worldview as the basis of their decision-making. ...Although most people own a Bible and know some of its content, our research found that most Americans have little idea how to integrate core biblical principles to form a unified and meaningful response to the challenges and opportunities of life. We're often more concerned with survival amidst chaos than with experiencing truth and significance.
    I desperately want our children to be set apart, and be okay with being set apart. Nothing would please me more than to raise and educate them to see everything through a biblical lens.


  8. Most importantly, we feel that God has called us to homeschool, that He has put this desire in our hearts. I pray that He will 'open the eyes of our hearts' to seek His will throughout our schooling days.


7 comments:

Tracy said...

I love it when certified "teachers" choose to stay home and teach their own kids!
(My husband is a public school teacher.) Good to read your post.

randi said...

My hubby and I want our kids to be "set apart" also. The older my kids get, the more I see the benefits of socializing them the homeschool way!

Great post!

~Jennifer said...

The socialization aspect is the least of my homeschooling concerns. I'm not too interested in the kind of socialization that schools provide, and besides, where else in the real do people spend time only with others who are their same age and live in their same neighborhood? Homeschooling allows us to spend time in the real world socializing, as you said, in a more natural environment.

Blessed Beyond a doubt.... said...

Continue to teach your children the power of prayer when making decisions.

Awesome testimony!!

http://tonsofsons.wordpress.com/

Hanley Family said...

Wonderful reasons! I have a degree in education as well, and taught two years. That's why I'm not particularly impressed with arguments for certification before teaching your own. All the theory just does not help you all that much!

God bless.

Margot said...

My philosophy is "Better sheltered than shattered" in a public school environment children are exposed to so many things that can shatter their little worlds. I want them to be God centered before they face those types of life changing decisions that are given them oh to soon at school. Mostly due to peer pressure.

momof3feistykids said...

Very well said. :-)

http://tribeofautodidacts.homeschooljournal.net/